TIOGA & POTTER COUNTIES, PA—Your blood says a lot about your health. Blood analysis can establish a normal, healthy baseline for your body and can detect many potential health problems early by monitoring changes to the baseline that resulted in something outside normal reference ranges. Laurel Health System’s Community Multidiagnostic Blood Analysis (CMBA) will be offered in nine locations throughout the month of September, and pre-registration is strongly encouraged.
CMBA is a physician-approved, community screening program featuring 38 blood tests—all from one blood draw and for one low cost of $49. An optional take home colorectal screening kit is available for $6. Men aged 50+ and those younger with a family history of prostate cancer can opt to add the prostate specific antigen (PSA) test to the CMBA panel for an additional $17.
Scheduling an appointment ensures that your information and specimen labels are available upon your arrival, streamlining the screening process. Call (570) 723-8449 now to arrange an appointment at any one of the following nine sites in Tioga and Potter counties:
• Tioga Fire Hall, Tioga, 6 a.m. to 9 a.m., Thursday, September 2.
• Elkland Fire Hall, Elkland, 6 a.m. to 9 a.m., Thursday, September 9.
• Blossburg Fire Hall, Blossburg, 6 a.m. to 9 a.m., Saturday, September 11.
• St. Bibiana’s Parish Center, Galeton, 6 a.m. to 9 a.m., Tuesday, September 14.
• Westfield Senior Center, Westfield, 6 a.m. to 9 a.m., Thursday, September 16.
• Wellsboro Area High School, Wellsboro, 6 a.m. to 9 a.m., Saturday, September 18.
• Morris Fire Hall, Morris, 6 a.m. to 9 a.m., Tuesday, September 21.
• Middlebury Fire Hall, Middlebury Center, 6 a.m. to 9 a.m., Thursday, September 23.
• Mansfield Fire Hall, Mansfield, 6 a.m. to 9 a.m., Saturday, September 25.
Anyone participating in the CMBA testing is required to fast for 12 hours prior to the test; 14 hours is recommended. During this time, participants may drink as much water as they like and should continue to take all medications.
The blood specimens drawn from each CMBA participant are sent to Soldiers + Sailors Memorial Hospital’s clinical laboratory to screen for diabetes, anemia, cancer of the prostate, and diseases of the heart, liver, thyroid, or kidney. These tests are important preventive and diagnostic tools. CMBA can establish normal blood levels to monitor from year to year or help detect changes that could lead to the diagnosis of a disease. Results are sent to the participant’s health care provider for interpretation. Participants will also receive a copy of their results and an explanation of the tests performed.
Participating in the CMBA screening is not intended to replace ongoing medical care. All test results should be discussed with the participant’s health care provider.
To schedule an appointment, local callers should telephone (570) 723-8449 and out-of-the-area callers should phone toll free 1-800-808-LAUREL (5287), Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. If you call after hours, please leave a recorded message, and a CMBA representative will return your call. You may also register online using our CMBA form at www.laurelhs.org/Main/CMBA.aspx.