|The Right Choice... Right Here.
Laurel Health System offers a wide
range of services
for all age groups. From primary and acute care to long-term and
preventive health services, LHS has continually expanded our
capabilities to meet the changing needs of our patients. As we continue
to change, one thing will remain constant—our dedication to the health
and well-being of the communities we serve.
For more information on Laurel Health System, feel free to call us at 800-808-LAUREL (5287).
MISSION, VISION, AND VALUES:
MISSION: The mission of Laurel Health System is to provide excellent services that improve the health and well-being of the communities we serve.
VISION: The vision of Laurel Health System is to be the provider and employer of choice for the communities we serve.
The values that guide our actions and the provision of services to those we serve include:
We are committed to maintaining the highest standards of safety and service through continuous evaluation and quality improvement.
We treat others as they wish to be treated, with respect, sensitivity and a genuine, caring concern for all.
We are committed to respecting the diversity, privacy and confidentiality of those we serve.
We are committed to responsible management of our resources to ensure sustainability of our services to the community.
A HISTORY OF LAUREL HEALTH SYSTEM
Soldiers + Sailors Memorial Hospital
In October 1919, members of fivelocal families filed an application to form a corporation known as Soldiers and Sailors Memorial Hospital. Each family pledged $50,000 to erect a living memorial to the Tioga County men and women who had served so valiantly in World War I—to “show the honor and gratitude . . . to the Soldiers, Sailors and Marines for their bravery and heroic services for our common country in its day of peril.”
Although the families provided funds to operate and maintain a hospital, the charter did not provide a way to use the funds to build the Hospital. The families had thought that additional money would be forthcoming from the community in an amount sufficient to cover the costs of construction, but the 1929 stock market crash and its aftermath—the Great Depression—prevented this from happening. It took more than 20 years to clear the way for the actual construction of the Hospital. In 1939, the court was petitioned asking for permission to amend the charter to allow for the accumulated interest, amounting to $150,000, to be used toward construction costs and to maintain the original $250,000 as the endowment. The court granted the request.
On October 31, 1940, the architectural firm of Lawrie and Green of Harrisburg was engaged to design the new hospital building. Ground breaking ceremonies were held on July 1, 1941, signaling the start of construction; the cornerstone was laid on September 27, 1941. On Tuesday, August 25, 1942, the new, 34-bed, three-story, brick colonial-style building was officially opened to receive patients. Between 1942 and 1944, over 4,000 patients were treated at the Hospital and over 600 babies were delivered.
Before long, public demand for the hospital’s services focused the board of directors on an expansion project. The original 34-bed facility had treated an average of 41-bed patients per day since its opening. A 50-bed wing was completed in June 1953. Twenty private rooms were added plus two new four-bed units, allowing the hospital to serve up to 95 patients.
Again due to citizen demand, a 40-bed wing was built in 1965. In 1974, a third wing was added to provide space for new operating rooms and outpatient services.
In 1994, the Hospital concluded construction of a two-story, 34,000 square foot addition, along with major renovations of the existing Hospital space. Our brand new state-of-the-art Emergency Department (ED) went into service on January 10, 2012; the ED is the first level of a two-story addition on the Central Avenue/Grant Street face of the building. This second floor will house a new Same Day Surgery unit.
The Green Home
The Green Home opened in 1912 at Roaring Branch as a home for aged and infirm women. In his will, the late Charles S. Green had committed funds for the creation and support of the nursing home. Due to a population shift over the years, the nursing home began to lose residents; by October 1970, there was only one person living there, and no new residents had been admitted since 1965. The decision was made to move The Green Home to Wellsboro—a more populated area which could offer hospital support to the facility and assist in attracting patients.
On December 15, 1970, with the approval of the Attorney General of the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania, the Trustees of The Green Home received permission from the Orphan’s Court Division of the Tioga County Court of Common Pleas to carry out the wishes of the late Charles S. Green and provide nursing home care for area residents. The new Green Home, located at 37 Central Avenue, Wellsboro, opened its doors to the public on October 29, 1974. When it opened, the facility had 82 skilled nursing beds.
In 1978, the Home was granted clearance to build a two-story, 15,000-square foot addition, adding 40 beds to the original 82. Within two years, construction was completed and the new wing was officially dedicated in April of 1980.
Creation of Laurel Health System
In July 1989, Laurel Health System was created through the affiliation of Soldiers and Sailors Memorial Corporation (the parent corporation of Soldiers and Sailors Memorial Hospital) and a Blossburg-based organization, North Penn Comprehensive Health Services. On January 1, 1994, The Green Home formally affiliated with Laurel Health System.
On July 1, 1997, a new governance system was adopted by Laurel Health System to further integrate the System. Rather than each System affiliate having its own separate and autonomous board of directors, a unified board of directors was formed to oversee all services provided by Laurel Health System.